These are common terms in the Roofing Industry But what Actually Are they?
1. What Are Fascias?
If you closely examine your roof, you will see long horizontal boards or planks that are on the edge of the roofline. They will be attached to the rafters on the front, back and also the sides of the building. Fascias are mainly made from wood although plastic is also becoming common. Cypress is one of the common materials used to make fascias in the UK.
Importance of Fascias
– Boost functionality: Fascias help to protect the rafters from moisture, dirt, dust, heat and other elements. They also offer additional support to tiles that are on and near the edge of the roof.
– Aesthetic Appeal: They help to improve the elegance of a roof. Imagine your roof with the rafters exposed all round? Not a nice site!
– Waterproofing: By acting as a barrier, fascias prevent water and moisture from penetrating inside the roof and soaking the rafters, underlayment, sheathing, battens, or tiles.
To get the best from your fascias, you need to properly maintain them. This entails drilling holes first instead of hammering nails directly as this minimises splits or cracks. Also important is coating them with quality paint or varnish.
2. What Are Soffits?
While still looking upwards below your roof, you will notice a space between the wall and the fascias (board on the end of the rafters). Covering the space so as to bridge the gap is a paneling that runs all round the building. It hides the rafters, battens, underlayment, and sheathing from being seen from below. NB: The soffits can only be seen while standing underneath or from a close distance. They will be hidden by the fascias when viewed from a horizontal angle.
Importance of Soffits
– Improve ventilation: It helps to regulate the air flow by allowing in and letting out air. It’s important to use quality materials that won’t restrict the flow or affect thermal insulation.
– Enhance Beauty: A building without a soffit leaves the rafters, battens, tiles, underlayment exposed from beneath and this makes the house not so appealing. Soffits help to hide the mentioned parts and also improve beauty.
– Protect the roof: These accessories help protect the roof and associated parts from water, dust, animals that may penetrate through the openings.
Although hidden, soffits are still exposed to damaging elements including dust, moisture, birds, animals, human and more. It’s advisable to regularly inspect them and also protect them using quality paints or varnishes. A wet spot or flaky paint may symbolise a leaking roof.
3. What are Gutters?
Attached to the fascias is a channel that collects water flowing from the roof and redirecting it into a closed vertical square or circular tube known as the downspout. The horizontal channels are what are known as the gutters and without them, rainwater would be dripping all-around the house. Gutters come in half-round or K-style (flat-bottom ) styles and are made from various materials including aluminum, galvanised steel, zinc, copper, vinyl, and plastic. They can be the normal types that are joined at several sections or seamless.
Importance of Gutters
– Collect rainwater and redirect to the downspouts. This minimises damage to the fascias and soffits.
– Gutters together with downspouts protect the surface and walls from stains or damage that may be caused by rain water.
– A building with quality gutters is not only more appealing than that without, but also more valuable.
Gutters need to be regularly cleaning to remove dust, leaves, stones, and other debris. They should also be inspected for corrosion or rust which may lead to water passing through or the system coming apart due to weak points. Copper, aluminum, vinyl are less susceptible to rust compared to normal steel.
Like other parts of the roofing, gutters, soffits, and fascias will fail or deteriorate over time. They will start leaking due to cracks, widening gaps, may rot because of excess moisture, warp or lose their aesthetic appeal due to normal wear & tear and extended exposure to the elements. You may also be installing a new roof to your existing home or a completely new building. To get the best service and be guaranteed of reliability, good functionality, and longevity, you need to engage a good roofing company.
As Bristol Roofers, we specialise in new installation, refurbishment/repair of different parts of the roof including fascias, gutters, and soffits. We are a team of roofing contractors who are trained, experienced and certified in this trade, and for more than 20 years, we have provided our services to residents of Bristol and its environs. Our firm is licensed, registered, insured and accredited, and as a family-owned business, you can be certain that you will receive quality service. If you are in Bristol or nearby, simply come to our offices that remain open from 8.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Saturday. You can also drop us an email at email@example.com or call us on 01172 900264.
For more information about fascias, gutters, soffits and other roofing services, kindly visit our website at https://roofersbristoluk.co.uk/. Also, don’t forget to fill the form below to get a free quote.